La Tunella
Sort by Sort by

La Tunella

The tale of La Tunella and of the wines that are its precious yield are inseparable from the territory denominated Colli Orientali del Friuli, that has always been considered among the most felicitous for the cultivation of the vine. This is due to the terrain, composed of a mixture of sandstone and marl (called "ponca" in Friulan), and to the microclimate, which is extremely favourable and absolutely unique: the hills of ancient eocenic origin, terraced by assiduous human labour (we are speaking of two thousand hectares of vineyards), are protected on the northern side by the Giulian Pre-Alps, a mighty shield against the chilly winds, and pleasantly warmed by the breezes from the south, that waft in from the Adriatic Sea only a few dozen kilometres away. Of the 70 hectares of the La Tunella's property, all used for the cultivation of the vine and all in the Colli Orientali del Friuli D.O.C. area, 70% are given over to white grapes and the remaining 30% to red grapes. The proportion reflects the tradition of the Colli Orientali del Friuli, a land of white wines par excellence.The system of viticulture is the traditional French gujot and the single inverted.The average density is of 4,500/5,000 vines per hectare.The yield is limited to 7.5/9.0 tons per hectare, to favour the quality of the grapes.The wines range from classic whites and reds, to cuvees, 'passito' raisin wines and single-grape wines that are the fruit of the judicious enhancement of fine autochthonous varieties.